Robert Sarnoff has been referred to as A Local Treasure, “A Pillar of The Art Community”, and some say, “Rockaway NY’s Resident Artist”.!
- Brooklyn College Alumni Lifetime Achievement Award 2014.
- NYU Masters Art
- Editorial Cartoonist NY’s Oldest Weekly, The Wave: 2001-2015.
- Artist, One Man Shows: SOHO, Hell’s Kitchen, Brooklyn Heights, Rockaway.
- Award Winning Filmmaker.
- AFTER THE FALL, 9/11/11 (A Decade @ War) features some 200 weekly political entries culled over those traumatic ten years.
- In 2014 he crafted a newspaper column, Anatomy of an Aftermath, capturing Hurricane Sandy stories, experiences, trauma, and resilience, complete with photos and illustrations.
- Art Educator of the Year Award, 1994 NYCATA (NYC Art Teachers Assoc) and the UFT (United Federation of Teachers). Assistant Principal NYCBOE. Instructor Kingsboro College.
- The United States Postal Service selected his iconic image, “Ye Olde Jetty” to become their 2004 matted print and cachet. Petitions have been signed for this work to become Rockaway’s official stamp.
- National Parks Art Foundation Selected Artist 2015.
- Designer New York Mets Baseball Camp logo ULTIMetWEEK.
- Published, wrote and illustrated several books, including Cartoons, Comics, Ideas and Techniques, Davis Publications, Worcester Mass, Paper Mache, J. Weston Walch, Portland Me., got a minute? humorous vacation tales and tips, and AFTER THE FALL 9/11/11 (A Decade @ War), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.
- Pioneered a City-Wide Arts Program for a network of residential facilities serving the needs of New York City’s homeless population. As Art Director he nurtured residents’ talents as artists and writers culminating in “Outsider Art Exhibits”.
- His Plays have been performed on Theater Row, in Chelsea, The East Village and Off Broadway. Men of Substance is based upon his work at a lower east side shelter. Brooklyn Trilogy is comprised of three one act plays spanning generations and the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Independent Filmmaker. Sarnoff’s films have had theatrical runs, aired on television and have received awards in International Film Festivals.
- THE ROMEOWS (Retired Older Men Eating Out Wednesdays) received The Spirit of Queens Filmmaker Award.
- No Rooms Lobby garnered Best Documentary Award.
- The Irish Ropes aired repeatedly on MSG Television and was part of The South Street Seaport Museum Tribute to Celtic Battlers. The movie also screened at The Queens Museum Biennial.
- Sarnoff was featured in a half page spread complete with photo in The New York Times Wednesday Nov 6, 2008. "The newspaper sold out. It was lucky for President Obama that he was on the cover of this edition after winning the election."
- Baseball Little League Coach. Umpire All Star Rockaway Little League Baseball Game.
Sarnoff pitched four years for Brooklyn College’ Baseball Team.
- Married 53 years to his first wife and designated driver, Lynda. A daughter and son, four grandchildren.
^ To Top